Inspiring Quote

"Life is a dance, from one stage to the next"

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why do so many Dancers have Eating Disorders?


Perhaps one of the most controversal issues in the dance world throughout history and today is eating disorders. The connection between eating disorders and dancers is very critical in all types of dance. The main reason for this connection is the assumption that dancers must be thin. This preconceived notion has led many dancers to a lifetime of suffering and struggle. Yes, dancers have to be aware of their body in order to perform at their highest level. However, this doesn't mean they need to stop eating and weigh 90 pounds. Unforunately, most take it to this more serious level. The majority of these dancers develope eating disorders because of the pressure from their dance teachers and other students. About 46% of all dancers have reported having eating disorders! In Ballet especially, dancers have to be constantly aware of their bodies and are pushed to look absolutly perfect (this means no curves anywhere). This is most common in major ballet companies in NYC, Boston, LA, and other large cities. What many people dont realize is that these companies hold auditions where the choreographers will straight out tell dancers that they need to "trim down", "loose a few", or "cut down on the cheeseburgers".

The pressure these dancers go through leads them in becoming Anorexic or Bulimic. However, there are ways to try and help dancers with these illnesses. First of all, dance teachers themselves need to be aware of each of their dancers and understand the signs/symptoms of eating disorders. Secondly, dancers need to understand and be aware of the consequences from eating disorders and how to get help. And third, people who know dancers, whether family members or friends, also need to be aware of the symptoms of eating disorders and what to do if they suspect someone in having an eating disorder. Below is a list of websites that provide this valuable information. In all just keep in mind that about 10% of dancers with eating disorders will result in death! So it is important that they seek help immediatly. You could be the person to help them.

Check these out for more information...

4 comments:

Aili said...

I think this is really interesting. My sister auditioned for the dance program at UMASS and the first thing she mentioned when she got home was that everyone was really skinny, and thinner than her. She goes to Bridgewater State now for dance and I hope she is not affected by the pressure to be so skinny. I used to dance as well and there was incredible pressure for us to be thin. I think its kind of sad that some dancers are made to feel bad about thier body when they're just doing what they love.

Kate said...

Thats a really great blog. I find it interesting that people believe they need to be as skinny as possible to perform well in dancing just like running. I sometime wonder where people get the idea that you need to be 90 pounds to dance well or run fast. What they all learn is it may help for a couple dances or a meet or 2 but after that your body breaks down and become worse. I hope that people will one day not think they have to be so thin to be good at these things. I hope when I coach cross country one day I have people bigger than the sterio-typical runner because you don't have to be tiny to run fast like everyone thinks. Great job!

Kalli said...

Loved your blog. As a dancer I have realized this humiliation directors and choreographers put you through. My dance director all my life made us follow strict guidelines on what we ate, our body size, weight, measurements and made sure we had cardio 3 times a week on top of 18 plus hours of dance a week. Many of the girls I danced with became so obsessed, they lost so much weight although were never clinically treated because it wasn’t negatively look upon. When I was looking at school, I auditioned for the UMASS dance team (not the major) and go in on their team although it obvious that a weight maximum was in place by the looks of the teammates. Glad I decided not to go because not eating is not for me! Good Job Lori.

Nicolle Banas said...

Great article! I love how you point out how many dancers feel they have to be very thin in order to perform better, but being rail-thin won't make them any better. I found it interesting to see that coaches and fellow dancers have a large influence over a dancer's eating habits. It's easy to tell the different between naturally thin and starved thin. I also loved how you pointed out three specific ways to help dancers with eating disorders. I will admit I had an eating disorder for three years, and my body is severely disturbed by it. I was able to overcome it through a lot of social support from my friends and family. Just having a friend ask can make all the difference